Category — transit
July 6, 2012
Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the Art Murmur’s Saturday Stroll, a quieter gallery hop in the sleepy weekend afternoon. But First Friday’s noise and bustle are fun too, as the warm summer will draw increasing numbers to Telegraph from Uptown to 25th.
A new boutique called the Oakland Surf Club has opened at 337 14th St near Webster, stocking clothing, accessories and sundries for men and women, in addition to surfboards, skate decks, and magazines. T-shirts, shorts and 70s-inspired sneakers make up most of the offerings, along with jewelry and clutches for women and a selection of sunscreen for men.
Dr. Shabubu, who covered Uptown in taped-up tirades from its emergence as a dispensary district in the early 2000s until about 2006, has passed away. The DTO learned of his passing from a poorly xeroxed flyer.
For breaking DTO news, fan us on Facebook! Have a happy First Friday!
May 18, 2012
It’s a beautiful day for a walk around Chinatown or a picnic by the Lake. Even while basking the sun, downtown never sits still for long: here is a roundup of recent news about retail and services in the DTO.
- This weekend bring an Alice in Wonderland-theme book sale at the Bookmark Bookstore (721 Washington St)
- BART announces a late-night bus plan serving many of the system’s stations, although the only planned downtown stop will be Lake Merritt.
- Tully’s on Frank Ogawa Plaza closed; there’s no word that the space has been leased.
- Ferry service between Jack London Square and Oyster Point (South San Francisco) begins next month.
- An upscale donut-meets-cupcake shop is opening on Broadway below 20th St.
- Rumor has it that a well-known Berkeley bar/restaurant will be moving to the DTO this summer.
- The Pop Up Hood is officially over; Manifesto Bicycles’ custom bike shop has closed, and the remaining shops have full leases. With District opening and a restaurant in negotiations for the former Jesso’s space, Old Oakland looks to be surging toward an Uptown-like revitalization.
See you in the sun!