Friday the 13th News Roundup
April 13, 2012
It’s Friday the 13th, and after an arresting image of City Hall being struck by lightning made the Facebook rounds today, a sunny day seems more special than usual! Find some of this week’s happenings and new news about the DTO, in this week’s collection of news and views.
- Paradiso Lounge (née Club) reopens with a dance party by Brothers and Sisters, at 2272 Telegraph.
- Damon and the Heathens play at Cafe Van Kleef tonight (1621 Telegraph).
- TONIGHT is the deadline to nominate a business or artist for an Oakland Indie Award.
- Assembly candidate and Peralta Trustee Abel Guillen hosts a block party on Sunday at 19th and Broadway for the opening of his campaign headquarters, with an after-party at Feelmore510.
- Old Oakland’s Endgame (921 Washington) hosts a MiniCon this weekend, a few slots are still available online.
- The Chronicle picks up on the revitalization of 14th and Broadway.
- Oakland Vegetarian Week, which starts Sunday, features special menus from many downtown restaurants (and restaurants outside the DTO).
- The East Bay Express reviews Old Oakland’s oft-overlooked OB’s Cafe (729 Washington St).
- Lost Amusement Parks of the East Bay is the title of a group of photo displays at the Oakland History Room, including Idora Park, Shellmound Park, and Neptune Beach. Upstairs at the Main Library, 125 14th St at Madison.
Next week: update on Broadway and 23rd Street – a new hub for Uptown?