Retail revitalization for DTO?
June 10, 2011
Oaklandish’s recent announcement of a store on Broadway near 14th St is just the latest in a string of new retail establishments downtown. Concentrated in Uptown and Old Oakland, new shops and restaurants may presage a new wave of downtown retail, despite the impending closure of the Dress Barn. Here are retail businesses that have opened in the last six months.
- Bar Dogwood, Uptown
- Chaparral City Gallery, Old Oakland
- Cosecha Cafe, Old Oakland (part of a planned redesign of Swan’s Market)
- Feelmore510, Uptown
- Hawker Fare, Uptown
- Oakcollectiv, City Center
- Rudy’s Can’t Fail Cafe, Uptown
- Sticks and Stones Gallery, Old Oakland
If I’ve missed anything please let me know!
Do these new establishments represent a trend of new retail downtown? Will the new businesses spread beyond Uptown and Old Oakland? What else is in the pipeline for downtown?